Why The F*ck Is The 7 On GT5's Lap Counter Off-Centre?


(Based on this rant from Gizmodo's own personal Jesus)

This is freaking me out today. You see, I hardly look at my lap number during Gran Turismo 5's LM24. But today I did. I looked at that pixel-perfect, beautiful TV screen and this problem got instantly into my eye, like a white hot scalpel pinching through my retina until it reached the back of my skull.

See what I mean? Can you see IT? The 7 is off centre. Instead of being optically centered, it's geometrically centered. So it just looks wrong. Really, what happened there, Kaz? Where did all that love for attention to detail go? Out the fucking window of your silver GT-R, that's where.

Perhaps this is some kind of cruel April Fools joke from Polyphony Digital. Maybe they are all at the office, hahahing at their clever joke. OK. I don't find it fucking funny, but I understand your desire to torture your users.

But what about if it's not? What about if Update 2.06 comes and the 7 goes off centre again? What will happen then? Would they issue a game recall? Would they fix this in Gran Turismo 6? Would Kazunori send emails saying that we are looking at the screen in the wrong way? Would he argue that all games have the 7 incorrectly centred? Would Polyphony give us transparent vinyl overlays with a correctly aligned 7 to place over the screen every 7th or 70th lap? Can this really be fixed in a future software patch? Would Sony's spokesperson say that Forza's number 7 sucks so much that it actually looks like a 2?

Seriously, I'm not even bloody joking here [actually I am, but carry on]. This 7 centre alignment is the biggest bollocking to come out of Polyphony Digital since GT Academy US's shortcut fiasco.

Fuck this. I keep looking at it and it's driving me bonkers. I'm turning the PS3 off today.

Another look at the offending 7. And yes, I also have an Xbox.
I'd like to mention again that this is a sarcastic rant inspired by someone else, although the misaligned 7 does mess with my inner pedant a little whenever I see it...

Comments